About us (Our Corby)

n 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Corby

CORBY, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred in Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nene, 3½ miles SSE of Rockingham r. station, and 7½ NNE of Kettering; and has a post office under Thrapston. The parish comprises 2, 800 acres. Real property, £3, 445. Pop., 794. Houses, 188. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400.* Patron, the Earl of Cardigan. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and an endowed British school. -The sub-district is in Kettering district; and contains ten parishes. Acres, 20, 108. Pop., 4, 210. Houses, 930. -The hundred contains twenty-seven parishes. Pop., 10, 959.

Page link: Our Corby
Our Corby
By Kate Dyer
On 04/05/2011